Sunday 8 March 2015

Skill Developement

Research

During the research stage, I was able to look into statistical data and internet polls to help improve my work. For example when deciding how to design the logo for the production company, I decided to turn to a survey online, where I was able to ask the general public what was their preferred colour scheme. This was useful as rather than going on personal preferences, I was able to step back and listen to the majority view, which would in tern benefit the project. I was also able to research into valid statistics such as the demand use of social media platforms, which allowed me to decide how best to market our project in terms of what suited our demographic.

Planning

I faced some difficulties during the planning stage of the process. Setting dates to film with the group was sometimes difficult, as all members had other commitments that meant that sometimes we were not always available. However because we planned a few weeks early, this meant that we were able to extend our deadline and plan extra days to make sure the work was completed.

Filming

The filming process was successful. We were able to film our scenes in all of the locations we had planned, and the final result is similar to that of the story board we wrote. However one problem we faced was leaving the filter over the lense for one day of filming. This meant that our footage was corrupt and we had to reshoot some of our clips. This was easily overcome due to our safe planning schedule, and we were able to shoot all our clips in the alotted time. During filming, I was in charge of photography, and had to make fast decisions about elements such as angles and movement of camera. I enjoyed this, as I was able to explore different ways of presenting a story, for example using high angles to emphasise changes in status. One set of clips I was particularly happy with were my time lapse clips of the city. I was worried that the sitting time lapse of the main character was going to fall through, so I decided to take a variety of fast speed clips of London. For example moving traffic, and the general public. This could then be edited into the final piece for some added dynamic and to firmly set a location.



Editing

One skill I enjoyed learning during the editing process was how to change the aperture post-production. This meant that I could decide what I wanted to be in focus (depth of field) and then was able to blur out surrounding footage using photoshop. This was largely successful during the scenes of the boy sitting down. With close up shots, I was able to select the foreground of his face, while have the lighting and public as an off focus background. This made the clips look more professional, as it was clear we were trying to direct the audience. One problem I encountered with this technique was that it had to be set manually by using plotted digits. This made the process very long winded, and I ended up not being able to apply this to every clip as it was too time consuming, which effected the consistency of the style.

Blog Construction

The construction of the blog was my favourite part of the process. I was able to contact a reputable designer and learn directly about aspects of blog design such as colour scheme. By using this new knowledge, I was able to further my planning skills and create a blog which was clean cut and fitted the style of work. I also used some of my skills in coding to enhance the blog, like for example using CSS to change the format of images on the blog. One skill I wanted to use however did not have the chance to was HTML5. As I am currently learning this coding language, it would have been useful to transfer these skills across to the design of the blog. However I did not have enough time to write out the pages of code nessercary, and had to use alternate methods to construct the blog correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment